Skip to main content

Migration issues

When you have been admitted to a PhD course or programme at Lund University, you must apply for and be granted a residence permit before entering Sweden.

EU-citizens and citizens from Nordic countries can work and live in Sweden without having a residence/work permit.

Extension of residence permit

If you intend to continue your research studies after your residence permit has expired, you must apply for an extension well in advance before your current permit expires. You are personally responsible for making sure that the Swedish Migration Board (Migrationsverket) receives your application. If you fail to apply for an extension on time, you will no longer have the right to live and study in Sweden, and will have to leave the country.

Changed rules on residence permits

The Migration Agency has now changed the rules on how long a doctoral student's residence permit can be.

Information on residence permits for doctoral students (Migrationsverkets website)

Page Manager: | 2021-11-29